by Nate Smith, Chef/Owner of Allswell, in Williamsburg
This dish in particular was definitely the inspiration of British chef and food writer Mark Hix.
Warm Potato Salad with Smoked Trout and Soft Boiled Egg
Ingredients (Serves Four)
- 1 fresh trout ( We use Max Creek Hatchery trout at Allswell)
- about 4 C. kosher salt
to smoke the trout yourself:
1. Submerge trout in water until trout begins to float. The trout should not completely float to the top, but rather be suspend in the water. Brine for 10 hours.
2. Remove trout from salt bath and dry off. Put into smoker and smoke for about 3 hours.
3. Remove trout from smoker and allow to rest, uncovered, in refrigerator for 24 hours.
– Or, purchase a whole pre-smoked trout. Max Creek Hatchery sells both fresh and smoked trout at the Union Square Greenmarket. ACME smoked fish in Greenpoint smokes trout as well.
- 1/2 C. kosher salt (salty water makes it easier to peel the egss)
- 2 qt. water
- 4 eggs
- ice bath
1. Bring water and salt to a boil and submerge eggs with a basket.
2. Boil for 4 min 40 sec.
3. Remove eggs from water and shock in ice bath.
4. Peel and store eggs in container with water to ensure they keep their shape.
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 T. bacon, diced small (we cure and smoke our own)
- 1 onion, small diced
- 3 ribs celery, small diced
- 1/2 t. thyme, chopped
- 1/2 t. marjoram, chopped
- pinch saffron
- 1/2 C. milk (we use Maplehofe Dairy’s Milk)
- 1/2 C. heavy cream (Seven Stars Farms)
- 3 C. nugget potatoes, par boiled (Mountain Sweet Berry Farm)
- 1 lemon
- 2 T. good olive oil (we use Il Tratturello)
- 1 T. tarragon
1. In a heavy-bottomed saute pan, render bacon over medium-low heat until slightly crispy. Stir bacon occassionally while rendering. (approximately 10-15 minutes).
3. Add onion and celery and sweat until soft (appx 8 minutes).
4. Add marjoram, thyme and saffron. Cook for about 4 minutes.
5. Add milk and heavy cream, reduce slightly.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. In a bowl, smash potatoes between fingers ever so slightly until they just pop.
8. Season potatoes with a squeeze of lemon and some olive oil.
9. Transfer to a plate, add flecks of smoked trout into the cream mixture and plate onto the potatoes.
10. Distribute tarragon leaves over potatoes.
11. Cut soft boiled egg in half and place atop the dish.
12. Season with maldon salt and pepper. Finish with olive oil.
Allswell is located at 124 Bedford Ave., in Williamsburg. 347-799-2743