By Andrew Feinberg, Chef/Owner of Franny’s in Prospect Heights
Ruby red shrimp are some of the most flavorful shrimp available. That’s why we use them at Franny’s. They are delicate, sweet and all around delicious. This recipe highlights the shrimps’ flavor. We add only some garlic, lemon and black pepper to help the shrimp along. With shrimp this tasty, any more than three ingredients would take over and overwhelm the beauty of the ruby reds.
Ruby Red Shrimp with Garlic, Lemon and Black Pepper
Ingredients (Serves four)
- 1.5# ruby red shrimp, peeled
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped very finely
- 1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Start by heating a large, 10-12 inch saute pan over high heat.
2. In a bowl, add the minced garlic, lemon juice, 2 Tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper. Stir to combine.
3. Season the peeled shrimp with the 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt.
4. Add the canola oil to the saute pan, adding the shrimp just before oil starts to smoke. After 45 seconds, toss the shrimp in the pan for another 15 seconds and add to the lemon dressing.
5. Toss to coat and divide amongst 4 bowls
Franny’s (718.230.0221) is located at 295 Flatbush Avenue in Prospect Heights.