by Brian Leth, chef at Vinegar Hill House in Vinegar Hill
I love the classic combination of fresh, local squid and roasted red peppers in this stew.
Local Squid Stew
Ingredients (Serves Eight)
- 1 # small fresh squid, cleaned and cut into rings
- 1/2 # cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 cup Walnuts
- walnut oil
- 2 # red peppers
- 1 t pomegranate molasses
- 1 t cumin
- 1/4 clove garlic
- olive oil
- 1 turnips
- 1 pt cooked cranberry beans
- 1 jalapeno, halved
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1. The squid: Very slowly cook the squid with the halved chile, salt and white wine in a saucepan over the lowest heat possible for 1-2 hours, until the squid is white.
2. The muhammara: Roast the peppers under the broiler, turning once until skin is blistered and blackened on both sides. Peel and seed the peppers and transfer to blender. Blend with walnuts, garlic, pomegranate molasses, ground cumin, olive oil.
3. The cauliflower: Brown the cauliflower over high heat in a pan with both olive oil and butter, tossing a few times for color.
4. Combine the cooked squid, its cooking liquid, the muhammara, the cauliflower and stir.
5. Season, and garnish with a squeeze of lemon, walnut oil, chopped walnuts, julienned turnips.
Vinegar Hill House is located at 72 Hudson Avenue in Vinegar Hill, between DUMBO and the Navy Yard.
To celebrate the arrival of 2012, the year in which the Mayans assure us the world will come to an end, Vinegar Hill House is hosting an ‘Apocalypse Now’ New Year’s Eve four-course dinner with both early ($75) and late ($95, including champagne) seatings. Call 718.522.1018 or email reservations @vinegarhillhouse.com to get your spot.